Office for Continuing Education and Training
Certification Exam Registration
Am I eligible to pursue certification?
How long is the certification exam?
What will the expectations on the exam be?
- Pass a knowledge exam regarding the history, language, and culture of Hawai’i as it relates to the tourism industry
- Demonstrate recognition and appropriate response in servicing a global customer base of diverse visitors
- Create a customized tour based on customer preferences and interests
- Deliver a customized tour based on accurate information about Hawaii’s history, culture, and language using learned communication, interpretation, and storytelling skills
What is the best way to prepare for the exam?
How long is the certification valid?
Are there funding opportunities for my certification?
Introduction to Hawai’i’s Visitor Industry
For those who are new to Hawai‘i’s tourism and hospitality industry. More here
Ho'okipa Me Ke Aloha
A culture-rich learning experience based on Hawaiian language and culture, is designed for participants to develop an appreciation for our host culture and traditions while servicing visitors from around the globe. More here
Know Your Island: Oahu
How much do we really know about the island we call home? Represent our islands unique history and significance with accuracy to visitors and/or customers you interact with. More here
A rigorous two part exam that assesses the knowledge of the programs listed above and requires you to design and deliver an Island specific customized tour. More here
Foundations of Hawai'i
Lucky we live Hawai’i! Many of us welcome friends, family, colleagues and visitors from all over the world to our island paradise. But, how much do we really know about our host culture? More here
Servicing the Global Customer
Understand the reasons people from all over the world travel to Hawai’i and their expectations of service. Demonstrate cultural awareness and customer service standards when dealing with diverse customers. More here
Communicating With Impact
Enhance important communication skills such as interpretation and storytelling when speaking about our state. Design and develop customized tours for your visitors. More here
Is it correct that if I am not currently employed by a tour company, that I cannot take the exam?
What if I am not working for a tour company but want to take all the classes, can I get certified?
I’m not a tour guide, and I only want to take one class for my own interests. Can I do that?
My employer provides its own training to tour drivers, but I want the certification for my own benefit. Can I just enroll for the exam?
I am familiar with most topics in the training program, and only need one or two courses before I enroll for the exam. Can I do that?
What happens if I have the old certification?
For individuals certified prior to July 1, 2016, the following recertification criteria apply:
- Anyone certified on or before August 31, 2015 will need to take the full certification exam again in order to comply with updated Industry Professional Standards.