In order to meet the needs of a rapidly growing senior population, the State of Hawai‘i Legislature instituted the Kupuna Education Center as part of an aging and long-term care initiative. The mission of the Kupuna Education Center is to develop and provide training and education for the older adult community population in active aging, provide family caregiver training, and coordinate this information with all of the University of Hawaii Community Colleges.
- Introduction to Windows 10 (ENR3108)
- Introduction to Microsoft Word (COM3022)
- Introduction to Google (ENR3109)
- Computer Literacy (COM3034) –NEW COURSE
- Intro to Microsoft Excel (COM3024)
- Android Apps (COM3026)
- Computer Open Labs (COM3027)
- Computer Basics (COM3028)
- Basic MS Suite (COM3029)
- Keeping Seniors Safe While Using Online Ad Sites (COM3030)
- Apple Apps (COM3033) – NEW COURSE
- MELT Introduction Workshop (ENR3116)
- Tai Chi for Arthritis for Fall Prevention (ENR3089)
- Senior Fitness (FIT3000)
- MELT Performance Class Bundle (FIT3003)
- MELT Practice Session (ENR 3129) (Intro Workshop pre-req)
- Tai Chi for Arthritis – Advanced (ENR3147)
- MELT Pain Relief Multi Session Series (ENR3146)
- Sun Style Tai Chi 73 Form (ENR3161)
- Sunset Tai Chi for Arthritis for Fall Prevention (ENR3180) – NEW COURSE
- Dementia Stages (ENR3181) – NEW COURSE
- Demystifying Behavioral Changes with Dementia (ENR3184) – NEW COURSE
- Disco Line Dance (FIT3166)
- Zumba Gold (FIT3001-001) – NEW COURSE
Kupuna Education Center Coordinator
Jan Thurman is a Registered Kinesiotherapist, licensed massage therapist, lecturer and former Director of the SDSU Adaptive Fitness Clinic (formerly SDSU Fitness Clinic for Individuals w/Disabilities). Ms. Thurman has been working as a Kinesiotherapist since 2000, taught Kinesiology students in an adaptive rehabilitation center from 2002 to 2015, and has worked as a therapist since 1999. Ms. Thurman has earned a B.S. specializing in fitness, nutrition, and health and an M.P.H. specializing in epidemiology both degrees earned at San Diego State University. She is a certified MELT instructor, a board certified Tai Chi for Arthritis for Fall Prevention Instructor, she is experienced in Active Isolated Stretching – The Mattes Method and multiple other therapeutic exercise modalities. Additionally, she is a member of the American Kinesiotherapy Association, the Medical Fitness Association, the International Council on Active Aging, and the Tai Chi for Health Institute.
Contact by phone: (808) 734-9469
Make An Impact
Kapi‘olani Community College’s Kupuna Education Center’s mission is to support our Kupuna. Through the generosity of our friends and alumni, we have been able to enhance and build our educational programs.
Your contributions can have great impact:
To designate your gift online via the UH Foundation, please Make a Donation
The Kupuna Education Center is always looking for volunteers. If you are interested, please call or email us. We would like to discuss your skills and interests.